The Tea Between Us

The Tea Between Us

Nila never told anyone why she went to the little tea shop every evening.

She could have made tea at home. It would have been cheaper, easier, and warmer.

But at the tea shop, she could sit by the window and watch the world pass without having to explain herself to anyone.

She had been doing it for almost a year when Arjun first sat across from her.

“Is this seat taken?”

Nila looked up from her book.

“No.”

He sat down, ordered tea, and said nothing more.

For the next twenty minutes, they remained strangers.

Then Arjun accidentally picked up Nila’s cup instead of his own.

He took one sip, made a face, and put it back.

“Too much sugar,” he said.

Nila smiled. “That's mine.”

“I know that now.”

She laughed.

It was a small moment, almost meaningless.

But some beginnings are like that. They don't announce themselves. They simply happen.

After that evening, Arjun started appearing at the same time every day.

Sometimes they talked for hours. Sometimes they barely spoke.

Nila learned that Arjun hated goodbyes because his father had left when he was young. Arjun learned that Nila had stopped trusting people after someone she loved had once promised to stay and then disappeared without explanation.

They understood each other's silences before they understood their words.

One evening, Nila asked, “Why do you keep coming here?”

Arjun looked at his tea.

“At first, because of the tea.”

“And now?”

He looked at her.

“Now, because you're here.”

Nila looked away, afraid that if she met his eyes, he would see how much those words meant.

Their love grew quietly.

It lived in small gestures.

Arjun remembering that Nila liked her tea slightly sweet.

Nila saving the corner seat for him.

His messages when she reached home late.

Her voice when she noticed he sounded tired.

They never said “forever.”

Maybe both of them were afraid of promises.

Then, one winter evening, Arjun told Nila that he had accepted a job in another city.

She smiled.

“That’s wonderful.”

But her voice broke on the last word.

“I'll come back,” he promised.

Nila nodded.

She wanted to believe him.

He left three days later.

For the first few weeks, they spoke every night.

Then the calls became shorter.

The messages became less frequent.

And eventually, silence arrived.

Nila didn't ask why.

She had learned long ago that sometimes people leave without giving you a reason you can survive.

Months later, Arjun returned.

He found her in the same tea shop.

He sat across from her.

“You never called.”

Nila looked at him.

“You stopped calling first.”

“I thought you didn't want me anymore.”

“I thought you had found a life where you didn't need me.”

Neither spoke.

Two cups of tea sat between them, slowly growing cold.

Finally, Arjun whispered, “I was scared.”

“So was I.”

“I thought loving you meant I had to promise I would never hurt you.”

Nila's eyes filled with tears.

“And I thought loving you meant pretending I wouldn't be hurt when you did.”

For a moment, neither knew what to say.

Then Arjun reached across the table and held her hand.

“I can't promise I'll never hurt you,” he said. “I can't promise life will always be easy. But I can promise that I won't disappear when things become difficult.”

Nila squeezed his hand.

“That,” she whispered, “is the first promise I actually believe.”

The tea had gone cold.

Neither of them cared.

They stayed there until the shop closed, talking about everything they had been too afraid to say.

Years later, they still returned to that little tea shop.

Sometimes they argued.

Sometimes they misunderstood each other.

Sometimes they sat quietly.

But they stayed.

Because they had finally learned that love wasn't about never leaving.

It was about finding your way back.

And every evening, when two cups of tea were placed on their table, Nila would look at Arjun and smile.

The tea was never quite perfect.

Neither was their love.

But somehow, together, they had made both worth coming back to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netural

flower