A Cup of Coffee and a Lifetime of Love

A Cup of Coffee and a Lifetime of Love

Every morning, Meera visited the same little coffee shop on the corner of a busy street. It was warm, peaceful, and filled with the smell of freshly brewed coffee. For Meera, coffee was more than a drink. It was a small escape from the noise of life.

One rainy morning, she entered the café and accidentally bumped into a man standing behind her.

“Oh, I’m so sorry!”

He looked at his coffee and laughed. “It survived. I think that's a good sign.”

His name was Arjun.

The next morning, he was there again.

“Same coffee?” he asked.

Meera smiled. “You remember?”

“Some things are worth remembering.”

Their morning conversations slowly became friendship, and friendship became love. They shared dreams over coffee, supported each other through difficult days, and eventually became inseparable.

Then Arjun received an offer for his dream job in another city.

They promised each other that distance wouldn't change anything.

At first, they were determined.

They spoke every night. They sent photographs of their meals, their streets, their coffee cups, and even the sunsets they were watching from different places.

But after three months, reality began to hurt.

Arjun's new job demanded long hours. Meera's work became stressful too. Their calls changed from two-hour conversations to ten-minute updates.

“Did you eat?”

“Yes.”

“How was work?”

“Busy.”

“Okay. Goodnight.”

The silence after those calls became heavier than the distance itself.

One Friday, Meera waited for Arjun to call. He had promised he would.

Midnight came.

Then 1 a.m.

At 1:37, her phone finally rang.

“I'm sorry,” Arjun said. “I got stuck at work.”

Meera tried to stay calm.

“You could have sent one message.”

“I know.”

“You always know, Arjun. But nothing changes.”

He sighed.

“Meera, I'm trying.”

“And I'm trying too! But it feels like I'm the only one trying to keep us alive.”

The words hurt both of them.

After that night, things became worse.

Arjun began spending time with his new colleagues. Meera noticed photographs online—office dinners, celebrations, people she didn't know.

One woman appeared in several of the pictures.

Her name was Tara.

Meera knew there might be nothing between them, but distance had made every unanswered question feel like a threat.

One night, she finally asked, “Who is she?”

“A colleague.”

“You seem to spend a lot of time with her.”

Arjun became frustrated.

“Because she's there, Meera. You're not.”

Silence.

The moment he said it, he wished he could take it back.

Meera's voice became quiet.

“I know I'm not there.”

She ended the call.

For the first time since they had met, they didn't speak the next day.

Or the day after.

Weeks passed.

Their messages became formal. Their relationship slowly turned into something neither of them recognized.

Then came Meera's birthday.

She sat alone in their favorite café.

She ordered two coffees, even though she knew Arjun wasn't coming.

The second cup grew cold.

At 10 p.m., her phone buzzed.

It was a message from Arjun.

I'm sorry.

Another message arrived.

I thought being busy was the same as being strong. I thought providing for our future was enough. I didn't realize I was losing you while building it.

Meera stared at the screen, tears filling her eyes.

Then her phone rang.

She answered.

“I miss you,” Arjun whispered.

“I miss you too.”

“I don't want us to become two people who once loved each other.”

Meera closed her eyes.

“Then come back.”

“I can't leave my job.”

“I don't need you to leave your dream. I need you to make space for me inside it.”

There was a long silence.

Then Arjun said, “I'll come this weekend.”

He traveled through the night.

When he finally entered the café, Meera was sitting beside the window.

Neither of them spoke.

Arjun simply sat across from her.

The same place where everything had begun.

“I was wrong,” he said.

“So was I.”

“I let distance become an excuse.”

“And I let fear become suspicion.”

They reached across the table and held hands.

Their relationship didn't magically become perfect after that day. They still had difficult conversations, lonely nights, and moments when distance hurt.

But they learned something important: love wasn't proved by never struggling.

It was proved by choosing to communicate, forgive, and try again.

Years later, they still returned to that café.

Two coffees sat between them.

One for Arjun.

One for Meera.

And whenever someone asked how their love survived the distance, Meera would smile.

“It didn't survive by itself.”

Arjun would squeeze her hand.

“We chose to save it.”

And outside the window, rain would fall softly, just like it had on the morning they first met.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

arts

Netural